Thursday, April 27, 2017

Volunteer


When I start playing with an alphabet list of words for the A to Z challenge, I first scour my concordance looking for words that fit my theme.  Or, I come up with my initial list and find words using a dictionary and/or thesaurus to fill in my holes.

The Mighty Man theme was a little more challenging then the past years simply because the information about them is minimal.  So today's word, volunteer, was first supposed to be "victories" until I saw this passage when I was working on the M post.

"All these fighting men who volunteered to serve in the ranks.  They came to Hebron fully determined to make David king over all Israel."  (1 Chronicles 12:38).

As I always do I start with my good ol' Merriam Webster app and found the definition for volunteer there:

to offer to do something without being forced to or without getting paid to do it

This definition seemed to fit what the English translation of this passage was saying.

Until it sorta didn't.

Bible Hub says it this way:  "All these he of war that could keep rank heart with a perfect came to Hebron consult with David over all Israel and also all the rest of Israel heart of one consult David.  (Written left to right by me but if you click on any of these links you need to read it right to left - the Hebrew way).

But what I see in these words are Mighty men who saw a leader who could lead and were given a God given peace to follow without doubt.  Were their eyes on David's God or were their eyes on David's eyes watching God?  We'll find out in heaven.  But the peace that the Bible describes, it was deep, it was wholehearted as they followed a king chasing God's heart.

They were of one mind.

They saw their leader as a leader following the King of Kings.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was a no brainer for each and everyone of these mighty men who "volunteered" to follow a God chaser into battle, they were following a king who would carry the line of their Messiah.

V is for volunteer




No comments:

Post a Comment