Monday, April 10, 2017

Hittites


Trying to trace the ancestry and places listed in the Bible is like trying to untangle mardi gras beads on Ash Wednesday.  They are twisted and tangled and the detective in me does not have a big enough white board to try and keep them all straight.  The complexity of early civilization and who came from whom after the flood....and were they part of the good guys but became the bad guys....or were they forced out by the Israelites because God said they could is one hot mess of genealogy and place of origin that someone smarter and with more time than me has already sorted out.

Trying to lasso the Hittites is one of the messes I keep trying to straighten out in my mind so I can wear my pretty beads of knowledge.  Alas, I still have several big knots to untangle.  Thus far, I can only tell you a few simple things, and I will keep the more important piece of info for Day 21, so for now you'll just have to bear with me and probably be disappointed that my H post is more messy than clear.

This I know:

The original Hittites came from Noah's son, Ham.  Noah, a good guy, was the originator of what turned out to be not so good people.  If I were a history buff I could really lay it on thick, so all I will do is challenge you to google Hittites and see how intermingled they are with ancient Turkish history, Egyptian history, and Mesopotamian history.  You'll need about two weeks to get an idea of the complexity one group of people can have over history, if that gets you excited.

If not, here are a few interesting Biblical references of the Hittites:

Gen 15:20; 23:3-20; 26:34; 27:46; 36:2; 49:29-32; 50:13

Exodus 3:8,17 

Numbers 13:29

Deut 7:1; 20:17 

 Joshua 11:3
 Judges 3:5-6

1 Kings 11:1

Ezra 9:1

Ezekiel 16:3, 45

After King David, Zondervan's Dictionary describes the Hittites this way:

"Solomon reduced the Palestinian Hittites to bond service (1 Kings 9:20), but one of Ahab's major allies against Assyria at the battle of Qarqar in 853 was Irkhuleni of Hamath.  The Hittite stronghold of Carchemish fell to the Assyrians only in 717 B.C. (2 Kings 19:13).  Independency continually plagued the Hittites and their law codes exhibit mildness toward the feudal aristocracy.  This indeed produced a commendable humanitarianism, in restricted death penalties and regard for womankind.  But it also legitimatized serious moral laxity.  In the service of their depraved mother-goddess of fertility, "Diana of the Ephesians" (Acts 19:24-35), the Hittites became guilty of "a bestiality of which we would gladly think them innocent" and which corrupted God's people Israel (Ezekiel 16:44-45)."

Only one of David's Mighty Men was a Hittite.  We will look at him later.

Until then,

H is for Hittites.  Even Hittites, despite their reputation, produce Mighty Men of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment