Wednesday, December 9, 2015

What would happen if the world's believers prayed like a Muslim?

We're struggling here in the United States.  Our world is topsy turvy and we're struggling to keep our balance.  At least I am.  Our citizens keep drawing deeper and deeper lines with no end in sight.

I got a call from my daughter yesterday, after I blasted my frustration on Facebook, lost a little bit of my ground and had to shorten my sin list again.  There were plenty there too.  I raised her right, I guess, because she called it like it was and told me to get it together.  Well actually, I said get it together, she said to get off Facebook.  I'm not quite ready to do that, as much as I probably should, I have this hope deep inside that this social media world that has permeated our fiber is for a higher purpose.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'm not ready to give up.  Yet.

A year ago today hubs and I were in Istanbul, Turkey.  A picture popped up on my memory feed with the two of us standing in front of the Blue Mosque.  And then it hit me between the eyes.  Pray!  Pray like the Muslims pray.  We don't have to go to a special building and wash our feet outside before going in.  We don't have to even take our shoes off if we'd rather not.  We don't have to do anything else but stop what we're doing, turn the phone, the computer, the tv, the radio - all of it off - and just take ten seconds to pray the Lord's prayer.  If you miss the time, so what?!  We're Christians living in Grace - but if you miss, pray as soon as you remember.  Get back on that prayer horse and ride!

So this is my call to you, Christians...pray.  Weak faith, strong faith, small faith, big faith.  Pray.  Start a wave of praying the Lord's Prayer five times a day, sunrise, noon, midday, sunset, and evening.  Let us Christians stand - or sit or lay flat on your face - as one all over the world and pray the prayer Jesus taught us.

Our Father,
who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.

Add "for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever.  Amen." if you so desire.

Let's pray, Church!  Let's fill the heavens with a collective prayer the Lord Jesus taught us to pray.  It is the prayer that unites believers around the world.  It is the prayer all flavors of Christianity know.  It is the prayer that unites, that glues this fractured body together.  We don't need anyone special to lead us, we don't need to go to any special place.  Stop what you're doing, set your phone alarms (I know you have them), then pray.

Pray like you've never prayed before.


Peace,

Ronda