Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Wanna go for a walk?

I wish I could go to Eden and be like Adam and Eve before the Fall.  I wish I could be waiting for God to come by so we could go for an evening walk, like Adam and Eve surely got to experience.  Wasn't God walking in the garden in the cool of the day when Adam and Eve first experienced the guilt of what they had done?  Surely it was God's routine to walk among His creation like a gardener walks among her garden, talking to her plants, breathing in the beauty of her hard work.

I wish I could go there and hear the sound Adam and Eve heard before it was a scary sound.  They didn't see God walking, they heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day.

If we were in that garden, before it became tainted, and before we knew fear or shame or guilt, can you imagine the peace that flowed like a river among God's creation, creatures of of all kinds both human and beast, insect and fowl, sea bearing and land crawling.  How beautiful it surely must have been.

God is still walking among His creation but it sure is hard to hear his footsteps sometimes.  There's so much shouting going on, so many words being blasted like rockets across the cybersphere, many, I'm sorry to admit, coming from my own hands. But I know he's here, walking among us, peace flowing from his pores pulling us to him, calming us with his mercy and renewing us with his hope.

If you or I were in that garden before.....

We wouldn't have a care about elections or disagreements or doctrines or rules or laws or pain or the evil that is done to each other.

We wouldn't because it wouldn't exist.

But, we're not in that garden....but God still walks among us, even though the garden is full of weeds and thorns and choking disease.

We shout back and forth to each other "If Jesus were here he would belong to this party or that party, this church or this one."  We can't imagine belonging to a party or church that Jesus wouldn't belong to himself.

If Jesus were here, walking among us, would his words join in with ours or would he stick to the script he followed when he was here the first time.

Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness.

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of me.

I lay down my life for my sheep.

I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.

Don't be afraid, just believe.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God.

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be.

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock....But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

Therefore, be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

Take courage, it is I!  Don't be afraid.

...if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain,  'Move from here to there' and it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you.

I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I can hear the sound of Him walking among us.  It gets dulled by the noise around me, but I can hear Him.  He's hovering around, seeking those who are lost and trapped in pits we can't get out of on our own.  He's among us right now.  Plodding through the muck of our lives, not afraid to get dirty, not afraid to walk in the stink that we're covered in.

I can hear the sound of Him making His way to lift us from our slimy pits.

I can hear the sound of Him as He calls to us, "I'm right here.  Listen for my voice.  I'm right here and I'm never going to let you out of my sight."

I can hear Him, can you?

Go sit in his garden, breathe in the majesty of his creation.  Taste and see that the Lord is good.  Your eyes will one day see what for now only your ears can recognize.  Soon you will see him...face to face.  His eyes will penetrate into your soul, your ears will hear the kindness of his voice say to you, "See, I never left you, I was there with you through it all."

Soon you'll feel his hands hold yours.  As he pulls you close to him you will hear the beat of his heart.  The heart that has beat countless beats counting the minutes until he brings you to him face to face.

You are His, Friend.  You are his child.  We are His children.  It's time for us to live like we believe it.  Listen closely, can you hear him walking towards you?


Peace,

Ronda








No comments:

Post a Comment