Sunday, July 5, 2015

So What?

1 John 1:8-10

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

The previous post spoke on confessing.  Some may read it and think, that's not me.  I have nothing to confess.  If you and God are in agreement on that then more power to you, but for this girl, the one behind these words, I want to say to you:  "Wow!  That's awesome.  Because I am forever being convicted of my doubt, my pride, my arrogance, my sassiness!"

My list of sins to confess remains significantly shorter than it did when I first found the benefits of confession in the purification process.  But I still have a list.  I still have the Holy Spirit that convicts me when I am miss the mark.   When I catch myself thinking and acting like I don't need him for this part, I can say it better than He can.

I don't have the big blatant physical sins anymore like I once did.  There are physical behaviors I gave up long ago in repentance when Jesus turned the light bulb on and the things I had been taught my whole life finally made sense.

I couldn't live a lie of pretending that because I was a "sinner" and "would sin" I had a pass for behaving in a way that hurt not only myself but others.  It wasn't enough for me to have a weekly rote joint confession with other believers.  I couldn't wait for next Sunday to confess what needed to be confessed in the middle of the night on Monday morning.

But what is one to do?  How does one go about it?  When the Holy Spirit is convicting us and we want to trust what we have been told is the only way necessary to make oneself in agreement with God, yet our conscience won't let us rest till Sunday, what do we do?

Say "So what?  I'm a sinner.  Sunday's coming?"

I couldn't live that way anymore.  Once I started feeling the purification process taking root in my soul I became addicted to its healing powers.  I wanted the intermingling mingled out, forcing it to rise to the top so that I could be pure.

The meat of 1 John 1:8-10 is confession, but we mustn't look past the two pieces of bread holding the sandwich together.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us....If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

Ouch, Jesus!

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive - planao - to deviate from the correct path (circuit, course), roaming into error, wandering; be misled.  Planao is the root of the English term, planet - wandering body.  This term nearly always conveys the sin of roaming.

If we claim to be without sin we're just wandering around with no path, no purpose.  If we claim that we are without sin and there is no sin, we are roaming into error, and making more error.

If we claim to be without sin...his word has no place in our lives.

Not only do we roam, but we roam without Him.

Is that what you want?  Really?

I don't.

See, if I confess my sin, I also have to be careful not to take upon someone else's sin.  When I don't call something sin, I am sinning.  When I don't call mine or another person's sin - sin, but instead call their sin a genetic alteration, or a mistake or it's simply the way I was born, then I have to confess my sin.

I don't like to call things sin in my life and I sure don't like calling things in someone else's life sin.  I want to be liked.  I want to be popular.  But I don't want those things more than I want Jesus' purifying powers in my heart.

Sin is sin no matter how you dress it up or describe it.  Missing the mark and going against God's will for man's or woman's life is sin.

Ugh.

If you want grace, you have to want truth just as much otherwise neither matter.

It's not easy writing this and it certainly isn't easy knowing this about myself.  I've had a lot of arguments and pleadings with God to call my sinful behavior something that is flowery and kind.  But it didn't help me to connect more deeply with Him.  And that's what I want most.

If you want God in your life, confess.  Then repent - turn around and walk the other way.

If you don't want God in your life, than this isn't for you.

But when you come to the end of your wandering and roaming and drifting know that He is still there, with open arms holding out his amazing grace, ready and willing to forgive and send away all that tarnishes you.

So what?  He's what.

Peace,

Ronda

Part Three
That's What




1 comment:

  1. Bravo! It's no easier to say to someone you care about, you're sinning, than it is to swat the hand of your grandchild to keep them away from a hot stove. Neither is something you want to do. But if you truly love, both are things that you are compelled to do.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete