2. What other gods have spoken to their followers in such personal ways as the followers of Jesus can boast? Do the 1000's of Hindu gods? Buddha?
3. Of all the languages in the world that could be used for writing the Bible, it was written in two languages of people groups still living, and living in large numbers today.
4. The Bible outsells any other book, year after year.
5. God has shown me how the Bible is relevant for me, personally.
6. Wars have started, wars have stopped; churches have started, churches have divided; countries have fallen, countries have started; all because of one book. Just one. What other book has held such power for thousands of years?
7. What other book starts with a set of rules and ends with throwing out the playbook and just living on faith?
8. What books in history continue to confirm ancient historical events? And are all time best sellers?
9. What other writings - stories, poetry, novels, references - have described in detail the creation of the world and the end of time with authority?
10. Because God said it is.
Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
living - zao - to live, experience God's gift of life
active - energes - at work, active, effective, productive of due result, energized, full of energy
sharper - tomoteros - sharper, keener
penetrates - diilnoumenos - I pass through, pierce, to go through, penetrate
dividing - merismos - a distributing, a distribution, a parting, dividing, severance, separation
judges - kritikos - able to judge or discern
thoughts - enthumesis - deliberation, pondering, inward thought, inner-passion, the emotional force driving meditation and reflection
attitudes - ennoia - thinking, intention, purpose, opinions
heart - kardias - the heart, the inner life, intention, the "affective center of our being" and the capacity of moral preference, i.c our "desire-decisions" that establish who we really are
hidden - aphanes - unseen, invisible
laid bare - trachelizo - to take by the throat, to overthrow, I am laid bare
account - logos - is a common term (used 330 times in the New Testament) with regards to a person sharing a message; logos is a broad term meaning "reasoning expressed by words"
What other book can claim such power? What other book has such power to back up its boasting?
We have the Bible today. We have access to the Word of God beyond any Moses, Paul or any of the writers may have ever envisioned. We are educated. We can find Bibles not only in Christian bookstores and libraries, but you can buy a Bible in Walmart, Target, online. There is no other book that not only has the power to judge our hearts, but also has the power to comfort us when it does. The Author provides both.
How relevant is it for you today? Open it while there is still the opportunity in this country to do so.