Monday, April 14, 2014

L is for Learned

I have a hard time learning things the first time I'm taught them.  It's a condition someone labeled and a psychologist said I have called A. D. D. and it causes me to have to spend a little more time (sometimes a lot more time) learning by repetition rather than getting something the first time I'm exposed to it.

I didn't learn that about myself until I started nursing school at age 38.  Once I found out, my world changed.  A lot of my Why questions got answered.

Like these, to name a few:

Why can't I remember what the teacher just told me?
Why can't I read something and remember what it said on the first read?
Why does it take reading something over and over and over again before it sinks in?
Why do I have to write everything down as I hear it in order to learn something and retain the knowledge?

Once I figured out that it was just the way I was wired, learning became enjoyable rather than frustrating.  I learned how to learn!  And it's been AWESOME ever since.

(And it shouldn't be called Attention DEFECIT Disorder it should be called Attention Overload Gift! But that's another blog post.  I digress......)

Anyway, L is for Learned.

There are all kinds of ways in which we learn.  We learn by reading, by doing, by mistakes made, by things done right the first time, by things done right after 43 tries done wrong.  We learn by trial and error, we learn by discipline, sometimes physical in nature, we learn by example.

We learn - we gain knowledge or skill by studying, practicing, being taught, or experiencing something.

Some lessons learned are learned "the hard way."  Some learning comes naturally to some.

Once we learn something we have learned it - we get it or we have understanding because of learning or experience.

We learn good things, we learn bad things.  We form habits based on what we learn, some good, some bad.

Sometimes we can learn something over and over and over and over again and still not get it or understand it.  It may be because we are only one month old or we may be 75 years old and stubborn and rebellious and don't want to get it.

Some of us learn better by doing.  Some learn better by listening.  Some learn better by a combination of both.

Variables to how and what we learn depend on our age, our circumstance, our gender, the teacher, the lesson, the presentation of the material we are being taught.

There are multiple ways of learning one concept and no two people always learn the same lesson from the same concept.  And no one concept can teach multiple people all the time.

Want to know something interesting?

Jesus learned!  Yes, he learned.  As a human with all humans have, His brain was like ours. It was set up to learn in stages of development, taught by knowledge experience, education, and discipline.  As a man, with his divine power subdued, he learned like we learn.

After he died and rose again someone said "although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him..."

While he was on earth he once beckoned us all to "come to Me all who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

L is for Learned.

Peace,
Ronda

Thoughts to chew on:
1.  How do you learn?  Are you a good listening learner or reading learner or both?
2.  What are some hard lessons you've learned?
3.  What type of learning comes naturally to you?

For further learning:

Manthano - to learn, to have learned or understand something, to learn, study, be instructed.

English words for manthano are:

Learn/learned/learning
Matthew 9:13; 11:29; 24:32
Mark 13:28
1 Corinthians 4:6
Galatians 3:2
1 Timothy 2:11; 5:4
Titus 3:14
Revelation 14:3
Acts 23:27
Romans 16:17
Philippians 4:9,11
Colossians 1:7
2 Timothy 3:14
Hebrews 5:8
2 Timothy 3:7
John 6:45

get into the habit of being
1 Timothy 5:13

inquire about
1 Corinthians 14:35

instructed
1 Corinthians 14:31

know
Ephesians 4:20

studied
John 7:15




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed it does! Enjoying your exploration journey of words too!

      Delete
  2. We have to explore in order to learn new things and teach others what we have learned. Michelle http://www.writer-way.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete