Friday, April 11, 2014

J is for Joy

Luke 10:21
At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.  Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure."

Jesus was a man's man.  He wasn't a wuss.  He wasn't a sissy.  He wasn't a wimp.

He was a man.  A man's man.

If he were to walk on earth today like he did in the first century, I think, in my unsanctified opinion, he'd be at hunting and fishing shows, NASCAR races, muddin', climbing mountains, going to the places where men are.  I really do.

I really believe that because we are made in His image, God made us to resemble what He looked and acted like.  Especially men.

I think he farted and laughed about it.  I think he burped.  I think when he was a little boy he collected rocks and reptiles of middle eastern genus and types.  I think when he was an adolescent and not hanging out in the synagogue he was an awkward teenager, casting glances (not lusting, glancing!) at the girls in his village.  (He was tempted in every way, just as we are but without sin, after all).

I think as he grew up he had the same longings we have growing up.  To meet someone, get married, have children, grow old together.

I think he did.  There's no way to prove he did, I didn't live back then, didn't know him personally in human form, still don't have a grasp on the culture he grew up in, but I think he was a lot like us in his joys and sorrows and heartaches and triumphs.

You see, when he was working, when he was training his disciples, he got excited.  He got really excited when those dimwits got IT!

When he sent out his seventy-two disciples and they came back "with joy," they came back recognizing God's grace on them.  They got IT!

Jesus didn't give a holy nod and pat on the head with white gloves on his hands.  He didn't tell those men to "calm down now and act like good church boys."  He didn't tell them to hush up, sit up straight, straighten your ties, tuck in your pants, fix your hair.

You know what he did?

Look, he was "full of joy."

That doesn't just mean happy, smiley, I feel so good inside joy.

No!

It means he jumped!  He leaped!  And dare I say, I think a few high fives were slapped.  Maybe 72 of them.

He agalliao - he got so glad he jumped in celebration!

That's what real men, and real women, do.  They rejoice when there are things to rejoice about, like finding out your name is written in heaven, for one.  They rejoice, they don't pretend to be all pious and holy acting. When something as worthy as being a child of God happens it's worth celebrating like its the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl!

Jesus didn't hold back.  Neither do we need to hold back.

J is for Joy....Jumping Joy!

Peace,
Ronda


No comments:

Post a Comment