Wednesday, April 9, 2014

H is for Helpless Helper

One of the most intriguing characteristics of Jesus Christ is not only was He God at the same time He was a man, but He was a man at the same time He was God.  There are lots of big theological church words for this mysterious phenomenon, many, many words have been used to dissect and discuss just such mystery, but without understanding the HOW, I love the fact:  He was man and He IS God.

Knowing this gives me great hope, comfort and peace and it was brought into a closer realm of reality for me the week I spent holding my newborn grandson.

As I looked at his sweet face and watched him sleep and make faces while dreaming what only newborn babes dream, I couldn't help but think that my Savior started out this very same way.



Baby Zeke couldn't do anything about being hungry except cry.  Baby Jesus was the same way.

Baby Zeke couldn't do anything about a dirty diaper.  Neither could Baby Jesus.

Baby Zeke couldn't do anything about being too warm or too cold.  Baby Jesus was subject to adults discerning His cries too.

Baby Zeke didn't have a choice as to where we lay him, Baby Jesus didn't have any choices either.

Baby Zeke was so helpless and was dependent upon his mom and his dad and other adults to help comfort him, keep him fed, warm and clean.

So was Baby Jesus.

But the difference between Baby Zeke and Baby Jesus is that Baby Jesus choose to come in the form of a helpless human being.

He helped by making himself helpless.  All the while he was a helpless newborn he was helping.  He was the Helper we needed to make us His child.  We are the newborns He holds in his nail scarred hands.  We are His newborn He holds in His arms feeding us when we're hungry, clothing us when our clothes are sin-stained and torn, cleansing us when the dirt of our sins cover us and make us ashamed and guilt-ridden.

When He was helpless He was making us whole.

When He was helpless He was clothing us in righteousness.

When He was helpless He was cleansing us from our sins and making us white as snow.

When He was helpless He was our Helper.



Isaiah 41:10  "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

H is for Helpless Helper.


Peace,
Ronda

Things to chew on:  (I know the pictures are cute but FOCUS!  haha)
1.  Do you find it easy or hard to ask for help when you need it?
2.  Have you ever seen yourself as a helpless newborn when you feel helpless?
3.  How does it make you feel to recognize that even when you feel strong, in Jesus' eyes you are a helpless newborn?

Photos courtesy of Baby Zeke, his mom, and my niece.


2 comments:

  1. I have always found it hard to ask for help when I need it. I think this is probably my biggest weakness but it is something that I have improved on over time even though I have a long way to go.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and sharing!

    ReplyDelete