Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Guard

Guard - a state in which someone is carefully looking for possible danger, threats, problems, etc.; a person whose job or duty is to watch and protect someone or something; a group of people (such as soldiers) who protect a person or place

Samar -  to keep, guard

Psalm 91:11 For he will command his angels concerning you to samar (guard) you in all your ways.



Nasar - to guard, protect, keep; to obey; to observe, behold, watch, inspect, preserve, to be kept secret, hidden


Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, nasar (guard) your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.



Phylasso  -to watch, keep watch, be aware of, to keep away from, abstain


Luke 12:15 - Then he (Jesus) said to them, "Watch out!  Be on your phylasso (guard) against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions!"

1 Timothy 6:20 Phylasso (Guard) what has been entrusted to your care.  Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith.

2 Timothy 1:12  That is why I am suffering as I am.  Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to phylasso (guard) what I have entrusted to him for that day.

2 Timothy 1:14 Phylasso (guard) the good deposit that was entrusted to you - phylasso (guard) it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.



Prosecho -  to watch out, be on guard, beware; to pay attention, devote, apply oneself

Matthew 10:17  Be on your prosecho (guard) against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synogogues.

Matthew 16:6 - "Be careful," Jesus said to them.  "Be on your prosecho (guard) against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees."

Luke 12:1...Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying:  "Be on your prosecho (guard) against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy."


Whenever I am with my husband in a restaurant and either being seated by a waitress or seating ourselves, my husband makes sure he gets the seat facing the door.  Apparently this stems from military training to always be alert to your surroundings and being aware of who is coming in.  It took me a few years of sitting in the wrong seat and having to get up and move for me to automatically go to the seat NOT facing the door, but I've got the protocol down now.

Although my husband doesn't stand actual guard of the door, he does stand guard to his surroundings and it's a good picture for me of guarding something or someone.

Our faith is precious to God.  Our lives are precious to Him.  He doesn't just give us faith to rest in the forgiveness of Jesus' blood cleansing us from our sin, He gives us the ability to guard our faith from the things which will come against it as we walk with Him.

He guards us, but He also tells us to stand guard, be aware, stay alert to the things that try to come in and destroy us.

When I'm standing guard of my heart like a soldier stands at his post, I am making sure nothing gets in that will cause damage to my faith.  I can take captive every thought that tries to come in and convince me that I am not who God says I am.  I stand guard of those thoughts that tell me my sin is too big, too horrible and can never be forgiven.  I can stand guard of those actions that seem innocent and cause relatively no harm to anyone, yet still tug at my conscience and open the door for further deceit and doubt.

When I'm standing guard, with the shield of faith, watching the door of my heart and my beliefs, I can recognize what belongs and what is trying to sneak in to cause trouble.

Jesus warned us to stand guard, to be alert, stay awake, be ready.  He warned us of standing guard against the things that appear innocent on the outside, like possessions and religion.

Jesus and His word implores us to Guard our heart from all that wants to take over his throne in our heart.

My attitudes desire his throne and want to sit there.
My possessions push my way onto his throne and enjoy sitting there.
My religious knowledge likes to sit on his throne.
My hobbies and love for writing like to sit on his throne.
My love for family likes to sit on his throne.

But, He says, to guard, to stand watch, to look at the door, be ready.  His throne is His throne.  It's in my heart, but it's His and His alone, not to be shared with any other.

Phroureo -  to guard; to be held prisoner; to be shielded

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will phroureo (guard) your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Paul said it best in Philippians when he said the peace of God guards our hearts.  The peace of God holds us prisoner to God, shielding us from all that would like to take over the throne Jesus sits on in our hearts.

His peace is our Guard.

Gregoreo - to keep watch, be on guard

1 Corinthians 16:13 - Be on your gregoreo (guard), stand firm in the faith.  Be men of courage; be strong.


G is for Guard.

Peace,
Ronda

Thoughts to chew on:
1.  Where does your heart need the most guarding?  Possessions, thought life, religion vs. relationship?
2.  What tools do you use to guard the door to your heart?
3.  When is your guard the most vulnerable?



No comments:

Post a Comment