Wednesday, January 29, 2014

For my girl who is soon to be a Momma


I'm going to become a grandmother soon.  Lots of people have done this I'm sure, but as my first grandchild is being born to my first girl, my middle child, I've been thinking about some of the things I wish I could go back and tell myself when I was a new mom.  So here is my list of things I would say to myself if I could:

You're not going to be a perfect parent.

Your child is not going to be a perfect child.  Don't let the pressures of achieving those impossible people keep you from enjoying your child or being a Mom.

It's ok to let the little ones cry so you can compose yourself and control yourself from shaking them.  It's ok.  They won't be psychologically damaged if you walk away for a few minutes or more when you just can't take the crying anymore.  It's ok. You hear me?  It's ok.

You're not going to be a perfect parent.

Give yourself the grace you need when you make mistakes.  Because remember, you're not going to be a perfect parent.

Don't be afraid to say "this kid is driving me nuts!"

Enjoy the baby moments.  They are few and can't be repeated.  

Don't give yourself the excuse to be a slob because the baby won't let you take a shower.  Take a shower.  The baby will be ok for the few minutes it will take to clean yourself up, wash your hair (ok you probably won't be able to dry it and curl it) but it's ok to take a shower.  The baby will be ok!

You're not going to be a perfect parent.

Only God is the perfect parent.  Your kids were his long before they were yours.  Let him take the heat for when they're driving you nuts.  (In religious language it's called "praying for your child" but it's ok in those prayers to flat out say, "this kid of yours is driving me nuts!")

You're not going to be a perfect parent.

But the Perfect Parent is by your side, night and day, through the crying and the recharging of sleep.  He's got you both.  Crazy as He seems, He picked you to be this child's momma.  He knows what He's doing.




2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Ronda thank you! All joy to you and family and the new born! And a lovely reminder of the ultimate parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by! We're excited to meet him!

    ReplyDelete