Saturday, June 22, 2013

TJOLC, or, when change comes, hold on tight

I had a beloved Bible teacher while living here that started many of her lessons saying, "before I can teach a lesson, God has to teach it to me."

When I wrote a few months ago, the story about my Grandmother's car accident and recovery, I was looking back at events that happened, not realizing at the time I was writing about them, I was actually being reminded He was up to something in the present that would involve some of the very lessons I learned from my family's past.

Where to begin this story?

I could tell you about Our plan to stay in our house of 15 years for another year and then, in Our time, move to our new home in our home state.

 I could tell you of our daughter's and son-in-law's plan to move to Texas just a few short months ago.

I could tell you of the day I grumbled at my husband, the planner he is, when he was making plans to have a realtor come to our house and get an idea of what needed to be done to put it up for sale, and I told him I DID NOT want to do any of that UNTIL AFTER our family trip of a lifetime vacation we had been planning for three and half years was over June 16th.

I could tell you all the things that WE were planning for a nice, smooth transition to our next stage of life.

But, I can only tell you what happened when we were making our plans.

Put your seatbelt on, it's an action packed story that came together in just a matter of a few weeks, not months, not even a year.

Ready?

Remember when I whined to my husband that I "did not want to do anything about the house until after we returned from our trip.  Then I will think about it."  God surely had to be chuckling.

Daughter and son-in-law making plans to move to Texas, house up for sale, house has a steady showing the first week and a half it's listed.  One family looks at it three times, they are very interested.

In the meantime, our things are being sorted, thrown out, and getting ready for a garage sale to be had over Memorial Day weekend.

In the meantime, son-in-law gets an offer he can't turn down, in the area.  Move to Texas:  off.

In the meantime, interested family makes an offer on their house, D and SIL counteroffer, counter accepted. By the way, closing will be two days after our return from our family vacation, less than a month away.

In the meantime, D and SIL decide to buy our house and oh, by the way, we need to be moved out before our family trip because there will be no time after we get back to be moved out and moved in.

In the meantime, we have a huge garage sale, nothing that went out came back in the house.  Hubs and I move upstairs, rent a pod for most of our furniture, D and SIL move in, garage full, rented pod in driveway full, boxes everywhere, furniture everywhere...chaos is just the beginning.



Can you hear God chuckling alittle?  I can.

(I really need to learn never to say "never.")

So here we are today.  As I write this my husband is taking apart a desk (one of those that came in multiple pieces that we bought because we were NEVER moving again, we don't need to worry about trying to move it).

Our D and SIL are downstairs painting, patching making our home theirs, amongst boxes, three dogs, and just a general sense of what in the world happened here?

Change has come.  It has grabbed me by the shoulders and slapped me in the face.  I'm still facing the same direction, but I'm definitely moving at a much faster pace and in a different time frame than I had planned.

It's harder than I thought it would be.  It's happier than I thought it would be.  Our daughter and SIL have a touch they have already brought in our home. One that soothes, mellows, and brings (bittersweet) joy.

I didn't want to leave my house of 15 years empty.  I dreaded the day we would leave an empty house, voices and memories echoing in its rooms, and closing the door for the last time.  God is giving me a gift doing things His way, not MY way.  He is letting me let go, little by little (even though in moments it feels like a band-aid is being ripped off).

His plan is the better plan.  His plan is Good.  He is Good.  He has Good in store for us.

I'm sad, but I'm excited.  I'm sad, but I'm thankful.  I'm sad but rejoicing.  And....I'm laughing with Him.  I thought we had a good plan. Silly me, I forgot that His plan is always better than whatever I could come up with.

Just a few pics from our family trip of a lifetime.








His way is always better.

Peace,
Ronda






4 comments:

  1. I love your vacation pictures! As the saying says, "Man plans, G'd laughs." Thanks for the reminder I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! It was a wonderful trip! I've been catching up on your blog, hope you're feeling better!

      Delete
  2. So true. No matter how well we plan, God knows better. Enjoy the new phase in your life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true, that God has his own agenda. We can make plans, but it's HIS will that will occur. If we could just learn this younger in life! And REMEMBER it! I'm so grateful He's in control though. There is peace in knowing that.

    ReplyDelete