Monday, May 6, 2013

Words, words, more words


"All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time." 
 Ernest Hemingway



Since I did the A to Z Challenge, I've gotten bitten, maybe always bitten, now just a bit deeper, by the writing bug.  I'm not great at it, there are so many words out there on the internet that do life a better justice than mine, but still....I write.

The challenge pushed the desire more deeply in me than I realized.  While it was going on I thought to myself often I would be glad when April was done so that I could not think about writing everyday.  But now that it's over, I still think about writing and the desire seems to be stronger than it ever was.

I'm totally bowled over when I click on the stats page of my blog and see how many hits this blog has received and more surprising to me, is the number of countries my words have visited!  At last count, 52 countries have found their way to the words I have written.  That's mind boggling to me.  The abilities that this technological age have afforded us truly humbles me.

So, I wonder about words.  That's kind of what rolls around in my head.  I wonder about all the words being typed right now, around the world.  Some words are being typed on blogs, like mine, some are being typed for books, some are being typed in emails, others text messages, some in college papers, some words are being used for sermons, for bible studies, some words may even be written the old fashioned way, in a letter written, on paper! (Gasp!)  Some of these words are meant to enlighten, some to encourage, some to vent, and some are being used to harm.

No matter how the words are being written or for what purpose they are penned, there is a lot of power in words, isn't there?

So anyway, all that to say I'm not quite sure what a blog is for.  Thousands do it, thousands read them, but how much do they really matter, when there are so many words being written, so many words to choose from to read?  Getting back to the first paragraph I wrote, I have a deeper desire to keep writing.  Even though I know there are millions more words  being written, I still write.

I played around a little bit this morning about where this blog could go.  How I could present my words and make them relevant.  Isn't that what we all want, some relevance to what we read and write and watch and do?  Don't we want some purpose to what we spend our time wasting or surfing or reading?

I do.

I want to know that my words matter but I don't need to know if they do.  Even if they don't, at this point, I think I'd still write.  Maybe writing words is for my own benefit much more than for some stranger in Indonesia.

Maybe my words are a brand new thought to someone, or maybe, the words I type are just a link in a chain of words that someone is needing.  I don't know, nor can I know how they are being used.

But I do hope that my words, as basic as they are, matter to those who read them.  There are writers smarter, more skilled and with a much bigger vocabulary than I will ever have whose words touch lives both in positive and negative ways.  I'd like to think I write in positive ways, but I know I can have a sharp tongue too, and can hurt with words more than encourage.  My apologies to you in advance or in retrospect if I already have.

All this to say, I'm going to keep blogging, keep writing.  I've played around with pen and paper, those old archaic ways of communicating, with what perhaps could be used to convey life from my corner of the world.  You may find some new labels up on top to choose from.  I like to have organization and I don't like to have to spend time going back after I've found something that spoke to me, and sift through words and words and more words to find the one phrase that spoke to me.

So you may be finding a few more headings to choose from.  The same post may get posted under two different tabs.  My TJOLC tab, I have already discovered, is going to fit well in one of my new tabs called, Navy Wife Ramblings and they both may find themselves under my One Word category.

My organization is more for my benefit than anybody else's, but hopefully you may find it helpful if you come back to this blog.

I hope you do, but if it's not for you, that's ok too.  We can't all read the same words - how boring that would be!

But if you do decide to come around once in awhile, I hope you enjoy yourself and are blessed for stopping in.

Peace,
Ronda


John 1:1,14 -  In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God....The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us.  We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment