Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for (easy) Yoke

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30

I love this verse.  I love every word in this verse.  I love that Jesus told us to come to him, all the weary and the burdened.  I remember hearing this in the King James Version when I was a kid and it said "heavy laden" instead of burdened.  I remember not knowing what heavy laden meant, but that it sure sounded nice to hear Jesus tell those heavy laden folks to come to him.

I'm not going to tell you specifically about yokes, I'm going to tell you about Jesus' yoke.  He said it was an easy yoke.

What is a yoke that is easy?  

Easy in Greek is Chrestos - to furnish what is needed.  Profitable, fit, good for any use.  Of things figuratively, good, gentle, easy to use or bear.  

So if we take His yoke upon us, you know what a yoke is don't you?  A yoke is a wooden beam that is fitted between two animals, usually oxen, for working together.  When animals are attached side by side to a yoke to work together, one can't go its own way, they have to work as a team.

Jesus said his yoke was easy, fit, good for any use.  His yoke is gentle and easy to bear.  When we wear His yoke, when we watch and learn from him, our burdens lift and we find rest.  The burdens and problems and wearisome troubles may not disappear, but when we take his yoke upon us we find rest for our souls.  

Rest means rest. 

Being at rest means to be free of anxieties.  

Anapauo rest, the kind that Jesus gives is simply to rest, be refreshed, to give rest.

His rest comes not by trying to figure things out on our own or handling our challenging life situations alone, but He said to get rest, learn from Him.  Learning from Him means studying what He did in difficult and trying situations.

He suffered and was tempted in every way we suffer and our tempted.  He knows the troubles you face right now, the difficulties that keep you awake at night.  Go to Him and you will find rest for your soul. There doesn't seem to be any other way to find rest.  When you put on His yoke, He on one side, you on the other, the yoke doesn't chaff, it isn't too tight or too loose.  It's easy.  Walking with Him in your life's challenges makes your life's challenges easy to bear.  

His yoke is easy.

Y is for (easy) Yoke.

Peace,
Ronda

Yokes



No comments:

Post a Comment