Friday, April 19, 2013

Q is for Quiet

Poor Quiet Q has nothing to do,
He just lays around, not making a sound
Q.  Q.  Q.

When my son was in Kindergarten, the school used a curriculum for reading called The Letter People.  To introduce a new letter of the alphabet the teacher would use a blow up letter with human features.  My son would come home from school so excited when they received a new letter person.  With a big smile on his face he would recite to me the jingle he learned for each new letter person .  At the end of the school year, the class put on a presentation of each of the letter people.  Each child was given a letter of the alphabet and they had to design a paper bag costume to wear onstage while they recited the letter's jingle.

My son was the letter Q.

 My kids holding a few of the Letter People.  

My son giving his best recitation of Quiet Q while the other Letter People listen.



You can rightly assume that as I helped my kindergartener learn his piece, this jingle is now embedded in my mind, twenty two years later.  It doesn't take much for hearing or thinking about the letter Q and my mind starts playing the old tape.  

So when I think of Q, I think of Quiet Q.  When I think of Quiet, I think calm, peace, silence. 

God promises to quiet us with his love.  He has promised to  hares2 us, to stop the loudness  echoing in our minds and hearts.  What God silences we become deaf to.  We no longer have to hear the noise of the past burdening us with regret.  We no longer have to be bullied by the memories that attack us.  We can rest in Him who takes great delight in us, who rejoices over us with singing.

We can rest knowing that He is the Quieter of storms.  The storms on the outside as well as within.  When Jesus orders a storm to be silent,  it is silent.  The storms in our hearts and minds as well.

He phimoos the storm, he muzzles it and he tells it to be silent.  Why?  Because He loves us.  Each and every one of us.  He will quiet the storms waging within.  Because He is a Quieter of storms.

Q is for Quiet.

Peace,
Ronda

Zephaniah 3:17; Mark 1:25; Luke 4:35;


No comments:

Post a Comment