Tuesday, February 26, 2013

When Silence is Golden

It's the quiet that speaks the loudest.

I'm not one to have a TV or a radio on for noise.

I like the silence of quiet.

I can think the clearest when it's silent.

Sometimes there are things that must be thought through and the only way it can be done is when it's quiet.  When there are no distractions finding their way to interrupt the deeper thoughts that must be thought.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but I also can hear God so much better when it's quiet.  I hear His Words speaking to my soul as I try to piece together a passage from scripture or bring a prayer to His feet.

It's good for our minds to just think without distraction and pulls from every which way.  Sometimes our minds race in the dark, in the quiet of the night, because they race so much during the day, constantly jumping from one thought to the next thought.  One task that needs tasking to the next task that must get done now, before....

Before I sign this child's paper for school.

Before I run to the store for milk, but wait, I need bread and shampoo and oh yeah, toilet paper.  Before I go to this meeting, return this phone call.  Before...

Before I go to bed and start the day all over, the running all over, the mind is constantly running for us, trying to do it all and remind us of all that we have to do and all that we aren't and never will be because there's just no time to sit in silence and hear God.

Because if I took the time to sit in silence to hear God, to talk with God, I wouldn't like what I'd hear.  The accusations may come.  The "you shouldas", the "if only I had", the "God doesn't deal with someone like me", the "God could never forgive what you did."  Those accusations.  That's what silence speaks.

But wouldn't you love for that to be different?  Does your heart hunger for the possibility of talking to God with no accusations running through that racing mind of yours?

His does too.

He longs to show His love to you like a Father to a child.  He longs to comfort you with His eternal love.  He longs to sing over you, to delight in you.  He longs for you to know just how loved you are.

But when the mind is filled with constant noise and perpetual to do lists being silently checked off, it's hard to hear anything that speaks deeply to the hurting heart.  To the longing heart.  To the grieving heart.

Let silence restore you.  Let quiet comfort you.  Let silence speak whispers of love and hope and forgiveness and letting go to you.  Let Him come to you in the silence and sing over you.

He loves you and longs for you to live in the freedom that His love brings.  Turn off the noise that can be physically turned off.  Ask Him to turn off the noise in your mind that you can't turn off, ask Him again and again until all you can hear is Silence.

When you hear Silence, ask Him to speak to you words of comfort and love and healing.

So do not fear the silence for He is with you; do not be dismayed, for He is your God.   He will strengthen you and help you; He will uphold you with His righteous right hand.  Let Him comfort you with His compassion. The Lord will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

He has set you free to listen in silence.  He will not accuse you, no, he will comfort you and restore you and give you peace of mind.  He will quiet that running, racing mind of yours and give you the peace that passes all understanding.

He will.

You only need to believe He will.

Ssshhhhhh.

Listen............






Peace,
Ronda





No comments:

Post a Comment