Sunday, September 23, 2012

Christmas in September

I've been somewhat overwhelmed, no, more like distracted this week. We've had several distractors going on all at once and a trip to Wal-Mart on Saturday was evidence that I was a little, yes, overwhelmed.

I was near the garden department and saw that the Christmas trees were already set up, lights aglow. Now normally I would have said, "I can't believe they have Christmas decorations out already and it's only September!" I remember when I was a kid and we saw no hint of Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. No commercials, no decorations in the store, nothing! Each year it seems that the sale of Christmas begins earlier and earlier.

But Saturday, I don't know, I just stopped for a minute and looked at the trees and thought, thank God I see a Christmas tree! I was so glad for the reminder that Jesus is coming, the celebration of his birth is coming, the reminder that Emmanuel is with me, even at Walmart! I immediately felt so much calmer realizing that the King was close by. The Christmas tree display was the reminder I needed to get focused on Who had my back.

Let me go back and add a sidenote to this story. Friday I was in Walmart (I was there 3 times this weekend!) and when I went to pay for my items, I couldn't for the life of me remember my PIN. The cashier let me try it a couple times and when it wouldn't come to me, I finally had him run it as credit. I was so...so...without my PIN number on the tip of my brain, my tongue, my mind!!! It was nowhere to be found!

Now back to yesterday. I got my groceries and other items and put my purchases on the belt. The cashier began ringing them up and bagging them. I was putting the bags in the cart as she checked them and when it came time to run my debit card through and put in my pin, I was sure I had it right this time, it wouldn't go. She tried one more time, then I had her try it as credit and it wouldn't go. (I'm guessing WalMart's computer brain was better than mine at the moment and recognized this card had the same problem the day before and wouldn't let me put a single cent through either debit or credit! So there I stood, my basket full of bagged items, ice-cream melting and all and no way to pay for them!

Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone I knew coming up to me and I told her what was going on. I told her of the problem with my PIN number the day before and asked her if she would be willing to pay for my bill. Without hesitating she pulled out her card, ran it through, AUTHORIZATION APPROVED!

She was heaven-sent. She was an early Christmas present.






No comments:

Post a Comment