Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Being on the side of the Hole Filler

You really can't avoid it. If you have a TV or use a computer or any type of social network it's staring all of us in the face. We can't pretend it's not there and it certainly is not going to go away. The President, motives unknown, decided to bring his opinion to the forefront so now the real debate begins.

Gay marriage. Homosexual marriage. Non-heterosexual marriage. Marriage between two women or two men.

I'm reading and hearing all sorts of debate, arguments, on both sides of the issue. The OPponents to gay marriage say, "Marriage is between one man and one woman." The PROponents of gay marriage say, "It doesn't matter, if two people love each other they should be able to be married just like a man and a woman."

Ok. That settles it then.

The PROponents accuse the OPponents of being religious, backward, old-fashioned. They say it's a civil rights issue. The OPponents say it's a moral issue. (When did those two start being different?)

I don't know what it's like to be gay. I don't know what it's like to be bullied because I'm gay. I don't know what it's like to feel different among all my heterosexual friends when it comes to which gender I'm attracted to.

But God does. He knows the struggle. He knows what you, the gay person has lived with, struggled, dare I say, even, been tortured with. Jesus knows.

Now, you ask, then why does he not stop me from feeling this way? I don't know.

There are a lot of things in my chemical makeup and physiology that I wish he would change about me. I know he could. I know with a snap of the his Mighty fingers he could. But he doesn't. And I don't know why.

All I do know is enough though. He loves me. He died for me. He has opened the doors of freedom from the struggles I have. I just have to walk through the open door. It sounds so easy, but it's hard! There is a struggle, a force if you will, going on that does not want us free!

But Jesus has freed us. He has freed us to live free! The hole that is in every heart, gay or straight, can only be filled by Him. There is no other way to get that hole filled. We can try, gay or straight, to fill it with relationships that are bad for us. Straight couples are a mess too!

If we try and fill our hearts with anything but God's redeeming love for us then we're going to struggle. Gay or straight, we're going to struggle. If a straight guy is jumping from one woman's bed to the next, he's got a big hole in his heart. If a straight girl is giving herself to a different guy every night, she's got a big hole in her heart.

There is no difference in gay or straight when we all have a hole in our heart that only God can fill.

God did not make marriage to be between a man and a woman just to be mean to the gay folks!! He did it because there is blessing for the marriage between one man and one woman. (Let me finish my point before you say, "but I feel blessed in my gay committed relationship!")

Straight married couples marry and divorce at an alarming rate. They leave their kids in the dust. Their hearts don't get filled in the new marriage with the new partner. Their kids' hearts don't get filled nor do they get shown how to fill their holes with God when mom and dad are changing partners.

Before you go stomping down Pennsylvania avenue in Washington, D.C. or protest at your state capitol, ask yourself this, Gay and Straight: Is my heart filled with God's love? Do I depend on Him and Him alone to fulfill me, to love me when all others fail me? Am I depending on someone other than God to fulfill me?

When you have those answers clear in your mind and heart, then, by all means, make your move. But don't jump on this crazy bandwagon that forces you to choose sides until you can answer that question truthfully.

Make sure God has filled the hole in your heart first. Then everything else will become clear.

1 comment:

  1. That was so well written and makes so much sense. You should try to publish it in more places than here.

    ReplyDelete